Orcas man in critical care following Monday night shooting

Jonathan D. Wilkins, 44, of Eastsound, appeared in front of San Juan County Superior Court Judge Kathryn Loring on March 17 in relation to an Orcas Island shooting which sent one person to Harborview Medical Center with gunshot wounds to both his neck and abdomen.

Wilkins’ arraignment is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. on March 30.

Another victim was struck in the leg. The third person was not hit by a bullet, but one passed through the top of a “beanie style” hat he was wearing, missing the top of his head by approximately two inches, according to the deputy’s statement.

Both victims were transported from the scene by emergency medical services personnel. The victim who received two gunshot wounds was flown off-island and remains in intensive care, the deputy stated in the document.

At the March 17 hearing, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Teresa Barnett said Wilkins is charged with three counts of assault in the first degree and requested bail be set at $1 million.

Appearing as counsel for Wilkins was Attorney Lawrence Delay, who is not appointed and was filling in for Public Defender Colleen Kenimond, according to court documents. Delay noted that Wilkins would not be able to post bail and Loring ultimately set it at $500,000.

According to the probable cause document, the detective investigating the incident noted there was enough evidence to charge Wilkins with two counts of assault in the first degree, two counts of attempted assault in the first degree and unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree.

A preliminary hearing was held in the Superior Court on March 17; this story will be updated once details from that are received.

According to the probable cause statement, Wilkins was in an altercation with one of the victims inside a residence on Jackson Road and he was asked to leave the property. The two victims and a third person followed Wilkins to his car from which Wilkins then allegedly pulled a .25 automatic pistol and fired at least six shots.

Wilkins then allegedly attempted to leave the scene in his truck, according to court documents, striking another truck and a dumpster before he was removed from his vehicle by the third person. Wilkins was held by witnesses at the scene.

According to the probable cause statement, Wilkins allegedly admitted to having a firearm and admitted to shooting in the direction of the men who had followed him from inside of the house. The documents also stated that Wilkins has a criminal history including convictions for felonies, burglary and firearm theft.