Submitted by Orcas Power and Light Cooperative
Orcas Power and Light Cooperative embers have reported getting calls from people claiming to be OPALCO. Don’t be fooled!
At OPALCO, we treat our members with fairness and respect:
• We always send members a written notice when an account is in arrears.
• We never disconnect members without notice.
• You can always confirm your account status via SmartHub.
• You can always confirm your account status with our member services team by calling (360) 376-3500.
• We will never demand payment over the phone for a same-day disconnect.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are not currently disconnecting for non-payment. If you do have a past due balance, please contact us to make a payment arrangement that works for you and get signed up for assistance to reduce the amount you owe. When normal collections resume, it will make it easier to work out the balance without shutting off your service.
OPALCO does use an automated phone system to reach all 12,000 of our members when necessary. There are times when you may receive a “robocall” either notifying you of a planned outage in your area or that we need to discuss your account status. These automated calls will always clearly identify who we are and ask you to call us back. We will NEVER demand immediate payment over the phone for same-day disconnect.
When members receive these kinds of calls we encourage members to note the phone numbers of the people calling and report to the Sheriff’s office.