The San Juan County Sheriff’s office responded to the following calls.
• A Lopez deputy was sent to check on a 911 hang-up call that, it turns out, was inadvertently “pocket dialed” while stacking firewood.
• A deputy in Friday Harbor was contacted about a failure to redeem an impounded vehicle. A report was taken and a citation was issued to the vehicle’s registered owner.
• Deputies responded to a report of a domestic incident in Friday Harbor. The deputies arrested the suspect for second-degree assault and obstructing a law enforcement officer.
• A Lopez resident reported damage to a community library stand. The damage likely occurred due to a human rights sign posted on the stand.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of a hit-and-run collision. One of the drivers fled the scene and was not located. A report was made.
• Orcas deputies responded to a report of a vehicle that went off the road overnight and into the complainant’s fenced garden. The vehicle’s owner arrived and took responsibility for the damage and for the vehicle’s removal.
• A San Juan deputy was dispatched to a welfare check. The deputy contacted the individuals, who, it turns out, were not in need of assistance.
• San Juan deputies responded to a report of a suspicious person. The subject was located and a report was made.
• A deputy on San Juan took a report of a theft. There are no suspects or workable leads at this time.
• A deputy on San Juan observed a driver with a suspended license operating a motor vehicle. The driver was arrested for driving with a suspended license – third degree and received a citation for not having insurance.
• Deputies and Emergency Medical Services responded to a Lopez residence to investigate the cause of a teenager’s injury. It was determined that the teenager accidentally injured himself after he got angry when a parent told him to do a chore. There was no evidence of a crime and a report was completed.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for failing to stop at a stop sign. The driver was issued a citation for that failure to stop and received a warning for failing to transfer a title.
• A deputy on Orcas assisted Orcas Fire and Rescue personnel with a trauma patient.
• On San Juan, a deputy was dispatched to a report of unknown trouble. Deputies arrived and contacted the people involved in the incident. There was no evidence a crime had been committed but one person was transported to the emergency room for treatment.
• A deputy on San Juan responded to a death investigation.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of a hit-and-run. The suspect’s vehicle collided with a parked vehicle and left the scene. Both parties were contacted and information was exchanged.
• A deputy on San Juan recognized a subject with a San Juan County Superior Court felony warrant. The subject was arrested and booked into jail.
• A deputy was contacted about littering and an abandoned vehicle in the Friday Harbor area. The vehicle was impounded on Jan. 19, 2019, and the owner failed to claim it from the tow company. Consequently, a citation was issued for littering with an abandoned vehicle.
• Deputies on Orcas responded to a reported domestic dispute. The involved parties were contacted and an investigation commenced. It was determined no crime had been committed.
• A deputy was dispatched to a welfare check in the San Juan area. The deputy arrived, contacted the people involved and confirmed everyone was safe.
• A deputy was dispatched to a report of an unwanted person in the Friday Harbor area. The reporting deputy arrived and contacted the people involved. One person was transported to another location.
• A deputy was contacted about a possible case of fraud in Friday Harbor. The caller said that several credit cards had been opened in their name by a person from a previous relationship, and provided a statement. The investigation continues.
• Another case of possible fraud was also reported on San Juan. This case involved payments made to a business. Follow-up is needed.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for failing to have their headlights on when required. The driver was given multiple warnings and a citation for not having insurance.
• A deputy in Friday Harbor was contacted about a theft that occurred out of state. The deputy took an informational report for insurance purposes.
• An Orcas deputy was dispatched to a lost property call.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for an expired registration. The driver was issued citations for having an expired registration more than two months and for not having insurance.