Submitted by San Juan County
Residential and commercial burn permits go on sale Oct. 5.
Fall is here and the time has come for burn permits to go on sale. To purchase a burn permit, visit https://co-sanjuan-wa.smartgovcommunity.com/Public/Home. Burn permits issued at this time will be valid until the end of May 2021. A reminder that burn permits are only valid for the parcel they are purchased for and that residential burn permits are not valid for work done by contractors/excavation companies for any sort of land clearing or site development operations.
A few reminders:
• A charged hose and shovel must be on site when burning.
• Only one pile may be burned at a time.
• Fires may be no bigger than 10 feet in diameter and 6 feet high.
• Burn piles must be monitored by a competent adult at all times that it is burning.
• Fires are prohibited in winds over 10 mph.
• Fires must be “dead out” before leaving unattended: doused and mixed with a shovel.
• No burning of garbage, construction supplies, plastic, petroleum products, cardboard or any other items that emit dense, dark, offensive smoke.
The permit holder accepts responsibility for the costs of suppression of illegal materials or escaped fires.
Read all provisions of the permit and be safe out there this season. For more information, visit https://www.sanjuanco.com/1091/Fire-Risk-Burn-Permits.