The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls:
• A Lopez man reported receiving a call from someone representing himself as an employee of a local utility. He demanded immediate payment via Western Union otherwise services would be shut off immediately. The call was a scam and no money changed hands.
• A San Juan woman reported her credit card was compromised and unauthorized charges were made.
• Deputies responded to a residence on San Juan to investigate a report of a domestic disturbance.
• A deputy issued a citation to a driver for failing to yield to pedestrian traffic in Friday Harbor.
• A deputy spoke with a Lopez resident regarding some suspicious postings on Facebook by a person residing in Vancouver, Washington. A Vancouver police officer contacted the subject and determined she was OK but intoxicated.
• San Juan deputies responded to a single-car wreck on Beaverton Valley Road. The driver had fled on foot prior to the responders’ arrival but was later identified.
• Orcas deputies were dispatched to an Eastsound residence for a reported domestic disturbance. A local man at the residence was arrested on a warrant and for resisting arrest and attempted malicious mischief.
• A deputy investigated vandalism at the San Juan Island Sculpture Park.
• A Lopez deputy investigated a hit-and-run collision to several mailboxes. Evidence was collected and a report was completed.
• An Orcas deputy conducted a traffic stop near Eastsound. The driver was issued a citation for speeding 48 mph in a 35 mph zone.
• PETA requested a welfare check on a Lopez horse. While elderly and thin, the horse appeared fine and had a field of grass from which to graze.
• A Lopez deputy was contacted regarding credit card fraud that occurred out of state.
• The sheriff’s office received a case referral from another agency. An investigation involving follow-up will be conducted.
• Lopez deputies along with Lopez Fire and EMS responded to a fatal plane crash. The sheriff and county coroner also responded. An investigation is being conducted.
• A deputy was dispatched to a report of a dog bite in Friday Harbor. The deputy issued the dog owner a citation for having a potentially dangerous dog.
• Deputies responded to a person who had escaped protective custody from a mental health transport. The suspect was located and resisted arrest. The suspect was taken into custody and transferred to the county jail.
• A deputy was dispatched on San Juan in reference to a noise complaint. The reporting deputy arrived and contacted the involved parties.
• Deputies responded to a Lopez residence for an assault complaint. The involved person at the residence did not want to file a complaint and deputies found no evidence of a crime.
• A deputy was dispatched to a domestic disturbance on San Juan. The deputy arrived and made contact with the caller.
• A Lopez deputy stopped and ticketed a motorist for speeding 48 mph in a 25 mph zone on Fisherman Bay Road.
• A Lopez deputy was called to a minor collision in the post office parking lot where a vehicle backed into a parked vehicle. The parties exchanged information.
• A Lopez deputy stopped a motorist on Fisherman Bay Road after he saw him driving while not wearing a seat belt. The driver was issued a ticket for failing to wear his seat belt and for not having vehicle insurance.
• An Orcas deputy was dispatched to a Shaw residence for a death investigation.
• A deputy was dispatched to the Friday Harbor area in reference to an injured subject. The deputy arrived and secured the scene.
• An Orcas deputy responded to the theft of a bicycle in Eastsound. There are no known suspects.
• A deputy was dispatched to the Friday Harbor area in reference to a runaway juvenile.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a driver for not wearing a seat belt. The driver was issued a citation for not wearing a seat belt and not having insurance.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a vehicle for speeding. The driver was issued a citation for speeding 38 mph in a 25 mph zone.
• Deputies responded to a report of an explosive device near a public trail on Turtleback Mountain. A regional bomb squad team from Marysville and Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms agents responded. The device was removed and there is an ongoing investigation.
• A deputy was dispatched to a noninjury collision. No citations were issued.
• An Orcas Island deputy was dispatched to a reported theft.
• A deputy issued a driver a citation for using a cell phone while driving in Friday Harbor.
• Lopez deputies were called to a domestic assault. One person was arrested.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a vehicle for speeding. The driver was issued a citation for speeding 37 mph in a 20 mph zone and not having insurance.
• A deputy was dispatched to a trespassing call on San Juan.