Submitted by the San Juan Island Yacht Club
The currents were strong, the winds light and temperamental, for the 48 sailboats in the 49th annual running of the Shaw Island Classic.
Hosted by the San Juan Island Yacht Club, the race is a highlight of the summer boating season, drawing sailors from throughout the region to circumnavigate Shaw Island.
Racers can circle the island in either direction factoring in shifting winds, variable currents, narrow rocky channels and ferry traffic.
The wind decided to die right at the race start but then freshened enough for most racers to make the dash for Upright Channel. Ninety percent of racers chose to do a counterclockwise route with favorable currents most of the way. However, half the cruising class could not get past Turn Island, a 2-knot adverse current trumped 4- knots of wind. For the majority of racers that made the turn, light wind made for a stately pace up Upright Channel, into Harney Channel and Wasp Passage on the northern side of Shaw. Just as many racers thought crossing the finish line before the deadline was out of reach, 10-12 knots greeted them as they entered San Juan Channel with a favorable ebb tide allowing a fast run across the line.
After the race, racers and guests enjoyed a hearty lasagna dinner prepared by the San Juan Island Yacht Club’s First Mates followed by the awards ceremony.
Best overall on corrected time this year went to the monohull Hydra, a King 40 skippered by Sam Richardson. Ben Colwell with his Formula 18 multihull Rum Line, continued his winning record and took home awards for fastest elapsed time and first place in the multihull division.
Prizes were awarded in all divisions. Race results are detailed below. Other than fastest elapsed time, all awards are based on corrected time, adjusted for time-on-time based on Performance Handicap Racing Fleet or committee assigned ratings. Detailed results and photos can be found at the club’s website: www.sjiyc.com.
• Fastest elapsed time: 03:45:01: Rum Line, Ben Colwell.
• First place on corrected time: Hydra, Sam Richardson.
• First place for multihull: Rum Line, Ben Colwell; second: Makika, Nigel Oswald; third: Sea Puppy, Bruce von Borstel.
• First place on cruising-A: Moon Doggie, Phil Johnson and Peg Gerlock; second: Fourth Watch, Bryan Colwell; third: Zig Zag, Sam Kanner.
• First place for cruising-B: Misty Blue, Scott Wisenburg.
• First place for cruising-C: HULA, Bill Stange.
• First for PHRF-A: Hydra, Sam Richardson; second: Shearwater, Christina Wolfe; third: Sir Isaac, John Bailey.
• First for PHRF-B: Challenge, Michael Durland; second: Freya, Mike Kaminskas; third: Interface, Mark Bunker.
• First for PHRF-C: Crazy I’s, Chris White; second: Treachery, Ken Machtley; third: Moore-on, Christopher Rosinski
• First for PHRF-D: Starfire, Stan Miller; second: Kiana, Rob Kirby; third: Shillelagh, Ray Pingree.